Fort Hamilton, NY - 19 OCT 2010

Located at the foot of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, this small fort in Brooklyn is the only active military base in metropolitan New York City.
This place is a postage stamp compared to most army installations, and yet, they process more enlistments than any other post. A small American battery fired on the British men-of-war convoying troops from this location in 1776.They had a small but impressive museum located in what was once the battery across from the main fort. (Note the grass roof on the battery on the left.) Inside the museum:They have artifacts from the Revolutionary War to WWII, including this cannon which used by shooting it out the window it is located in front of it.
This battery has it's original doors:
Part of the main fort that later served as an Officers Club.How does one load a 1,000 pound cannon ball? This was the view from my hotel room...with the Brooklyn Bridge in the background:I was thinking it would be fun to one day walk the Brooklyn Bridge. The next day I was leaving my room at the same time as my neighbor; we starting talking in the elevator and she told me she was on her way to walk the Brooklyn Bridge, so I tagged along.
It would be fun to do a photo series of this bridge...it's got so many interesting lines.
Found this old lock:


This is one of those scenes which make you say. "Only in New York." There is a Law Office above a Restaurant, next to a Trophy Store under a Psychic Reader, next to an Ale House next to a Sandwich Shop.
I love this time of year:I couldn't tell if it was the store owner or the upstairs tenants who got into the decorating.
I saw this fun bike rack...
...with a sad reminder: properly secure your bike.