National Portrait Gallery, Washington DC – 08 JAN 2011

As much as I like checking out the current exhibits at the National Portrait Gallery…I am drawn to this image…
I could spend an entire day sitting and watching people interact with this image: Among the Sierra Nevada, California. Painted by Albert Bierstadt in Rome it was displayed in Berlin and London before shipped to the US. Called a fictional landscape, it helped fuel Europeans’ interest in emigration in the late 1800’s. Bierstadt sometimes changed details of a landscape to inspire awe. And this is what this painting does. I like how it is displayed...in it’s own room with a bench to stop and breath-in the view. I like the curtain archway and the image around the image…all the different compositions the viewers help to create. Like quantum physics, the act of viewing changes the results.I later compiled this video: Interacting with Among The Sierra