Los Angeles Tourist - 03-06 MAY 2010

My nephew, Kevin, joined his wife on a business trip to Beverly Hills; while Estela, was at work, Todd and I took him around Los Angeles. Our first stop was Grand Central Market (LA's largest open air market), they had installed a bike stand since I was there in March (link to: Historic Downtown Los Angeles). See the hog heads?

This reminds me of the kind of shot I take when I'm in a foreign country.

Kevin (green shirt) is in the center of the crowd:

I noticed some nice iron-work on the Bradbury building elevator that I miss last time:

This reflection reminds me of my earlier post. 12 MAR 2010

Then we took Angels Flight and headed over to the The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA). TW loves art as she considers himself a work of art.

Next was Little Tokyo and The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA, as one ticket includes both galleries. Kevin and I found we could look selectively at a piece of art and make it our own image. Here's the original piece:

And this is what I saw:
I also liked the light coming in through the front doors:
We finished the day at Philippe's were Estela joined us for dinner. (For details on Philippe's use this link: Philippe's & Brewery Art Walk.
This time I captured some of the fine neon art they have.
 On Tuesday, we went to The Getty Center.
In addition to the great view and wonderful art (everything from Middle Ages to the present), the Getty also has a wealth of dramatic architecture...
and The Central Garden always has something to photograph.
 
This day the visibility was low:
This shot was taken in September 2007 when the view was spectacular:
Playing with art:

Todd becomes an 18th-century French aristocrat in this luxurious bed in The Family Room, several fun interactive spaces with art for children...of all ages.
I was fascinated with people's reflections in the Auditorium windows.
On Thursday, it was off to the Autry National Center of the American West. Their website say, "The Museum of the American West was established in 1988 by legendary recording and movie star Gene Autry to explore and share the comprehensive story of the American West and the multiple cultures. perspectives, traditions, and experiences - real and imagined - that make the West a significant and unique part of the world." It's my favorite museum and I've been a member since they opened. Their current exhibit, Home Lands: How Women Made the West, shouldn't be missed! It runs through August 22, 2010 and looks at three different regions: Northern New Mexico, Colorado Front Range and the Puget Sound area. They give the stories of some interesting women such as Dr. Justina Ford, the first black women doctor in Colorado; noted educator, home economist and author Fabiola Cabeza de Baca of New Mexico; Bertha Knight Landes, first female mayor of a major American city, Seattle 1926-1928 and photographer Laura Gilpin shown here taking a portrait of Tinky Winky.
On Friday, we finished our Los Angeles museum tours with The Getty Villa in Malibu. Check out this link Getty Villa for more photos of the villa.
I shot Todd, shooting Kevin, shooting...
I love their water lilies:
Todd discovered this solitary statue which was very photogenic.
Kevin gets in on the action.
Tinky Winky finds a place to sit...being a child-like Being of pure innocence and joy, s/he doesn't mind nudity.