No Red Baron – 29 JAN 2011

Before leaving Wiesbaden, I went to check out their two major cemeteries: Nordfriedhof (north) and Südfriedhof (south). Below is a manhole cover in the North Cemetery:
You can't drive through their cemeteries, so I was only able to see a small portion of 35.8 acres of the Nordfriedhof...yet, I found some wonderful statues.
Unfortunately I’m missing the gadget I need to download images from my professional camera so I won’t be doing a photo essay of this place, until I return home. It was very cold and the light was harsh.On to the South, I was hoping to find the gravesite of “The Red Baron.” Manfred von Richthofen, the Germans called him “der rote Kampffieger” and Wikipedia says, “He remains very possibly the most widely know fighter pilot of all time, and has been the subject of many books and films.” However, I found 4 out of 5 Germans visiting Südfriedhof, have no idea who Manfred von Richthofen is or where he is buried. I guess I should have had “der rote Kampffieger” not his name on the piece of paper I was showing them. Here are a few interesting shots of that cemetery.
This is a WWI section, but nowhere near The Red Baron who is in his family's plot:
I liked their use of evergreens:
The water in this bowl is frozen...it was that cold:
After two hours, I was too cold and tired to continue, plus I had a three hour drive to Grafenwohr ahead of me…to quote Snoopy, “Curse You Red Baron!!!”
(See later update: Finding the Red Baron)